[cabfpub] Concerns regarding Mozilla Root Program/Baseline Requirements

Rich Smith richard.smith at comodo.com
Thu Aug 1 06:43:20 MST 2013

It's apples and oranges.

The main difference was that the revocation of internal name certs was
spelled out clearly and agreed to by all parties who agreed to the BRs.
There is also a clear security vulnerability regarding internal names in
certificates.

The subject we're currently discussing was not spelled out clearly at all,
and my recollection regarding the discussions around validity period was
that it was well understood that there were long lived certificates out
there, and that they would be allowed to live out their life-cycles.

Certificate duration has the potential to effect a much larger number of
customers and I don't think those of us who have issued them in the past
would have agreed to specific terms in the BR stating that we would have to
revoke them, absent any other security vulnerability, had that been clearly
stated from the outset.
-Rich