[cabfpub] Name Constraints, Auditing and EKU

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Tue Apr 23 19:58:16 UTC 2013

On 23/04/13 18:41, Piyush Jain wrote:
> Rob,

Hi Piyush.

> With all due respect, Stefan, in that thread was referring to state of
> certificate policy processing 10 years ago.
> Certificate validation implementations have evolved quite a bit since then.

That's true.

> There are umpteen number of use cases being defined in the govt. PKI which
> depend on correct certificate policy processing. These include determining
> the level of assurance, and enabling cross-domain transactions. I admit that
> these use cases are not applicable to CAB use cases where all the RP needs
> is to establish trust in a TLS server. But following non-standard practices
> just because it does not conflict with CAB's simple use case is myopic IMO
> and is bound to cause issues in a different scenario that his forum did not
> think of.

Agreed.  That's why I tried (unsuccessfully) to persuade Mozilla to
require the use of the Netscape Cert Type extension instead of "EKU
constraints" (this was last year when the "technically constrained"
language in the current version of the Mozilla CA Policy was being put
together).

If the Mozilla and Microsoft representatives on this list will speak up
now in support of deprecating "EKU constraints" in favour of something
standards-compliant (or, at the very least, a lot less kludgey), then we
may be able to reach consensus on a way forward.
But if not, then I think we're stuck with "EKU constraints".

> One example is the OCSP signing EKU example that I alluded to in my response
> to Wendy.

Agreed.  We already tackled this a little earlier in the thread, BTW.

> Given that CAB forum defines the BR for both clients and CAs,

Actually, the BRs are "...for use by Certification Authorities when
issuing, maintaining, and revoking publicly-trusted Certificates."

Browsers and other clients are free to ignore any/all parts of the BRs.

> it has the opportunity to do it correctly and in standards compliant way
> through a policy constraint or a KU/EKU constraint extension.

One persuasive argument in favour of "EKU constraints" is that they
already work with a significant proportion of the deployed clients.  If
we define a new cert extension, we'll have to wait N years (until the
vast majority of deployed clients support it) before we can actually use
it effectively.

I agree that it'd be worth exploring the viability of using Policy
Constraints.  I don't know how well these are supported in deployed clients.

The only other option I can think of is that CAs could be required to
use _both_ the Netscape Cert Type extension _and_ the Microsoft
Application Policies extension for "technically constrained" Sub-CAs.
AIUI, this would roughly equal "EKU constraints" in terms of widespread
support by deployed clients.  The question would be whether or not
Mozilla and Microsoft could be persuaded to "un-deprecate" these extensions.