[cabfpub] Name Constraints, Auditing and EKU

Erwann Abalea erwann.abalea at keynectis.com
Tue Apr 23 11:40:28 MST 2013

--
Erwann ABALEA

Le 23/04/2013 19:28, Piyush Jain a écrit :
> Wendy,
>
> I don't think that these CAB forum requirements are applicable to FPKI (or
> for that matter any enterprise PKI) at all.

Or you can say that the BR are applicable to anything that gets audited
according to it.

> The fact that the BR document lists only browser vendors as the relying
> party software providers is a good indication of the scope of these
> requirements.

Public CAs, yes. But with a strong consumer point of view.

> However, your point about using EKU in sub CAs as a constraint is well
> taken. Even from CAB requirements perspective it is a little crazy.
> Think of OCSP signing EKU as an example. The root might think it is
> constraining the sub CA, but it has essentially granted sub CA the right to
> provide revocation status on its behalf.

This text is a proposal that is discussed about publicly. It's not part
of the BR, no ballot has been voted to include it in the BR, no vote has
been engaged to adopt this proposal, no endorsement has been asked to
engage a vote. We're far.

It's clear to anyone fluent in technical aspects of PKI that this point
of the proposal isn't acceptable. But it wasn't evident at first read.
That's why proposals are discussed, corrected, polished, then formaly
presented, and voted. I don't think the current discussion around
RFC2560bis is a model of how-things-must-be-done (seriously, declaring a
non-existent certificate as suspended with a revocation date set to
01/01/1970, isn't this crazy?)

Apparently, the lack of OCSPSigning in a subordinate CA's EKU extension
blocks MSCA from creating its own designated OCSP responders. I'm
waiting for results from someone more versed in MSCA than I am (Ryan
Hurst comes to mind). If it's true, then MSCA will have to evolve, and
it shows that EKU constraints isn't as smooth as it seems (how surprising).

> Now if there are talks of embedding FPKI root in the browsers, it would be a
> completely different discussion.

Haven't you heard of
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/mozilla.dev.security.policy/hCxohNynd_0
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#%21topic/mozilla.dev.security.policy/hCxohNynd_0>