[cabfpub] EV Code Signing maximum validity

Rich Smith richard.smith at comodo.com
Fri Apr 12 05:22:12 MST 2013

In preparing to begin issuing EV Code Signing certificates, we noticed that
the maximum validity for EV Code Signing is 39 months as per the BRs, not 27
months as per the EV Guidelines.

My guess is that this is due to the fact that the EV Guidelines maximum
validity was set before there were any other rules in place limiting the
validity of certificates, but that since the EV Code Signing guidelines were
put in place after the BRs had set max validity to 39 months that it was
determined that the BR limit was enough.

If that is indeed the case, and in the interest of consistency, how would
the members feel about lifting the 27 month restriction on EV SSL
certificates and settling on 39 month restriction across the board.  If it
is determined that moving to a 39 month restriction for EV SSL is not
acceptable, then IMO EV Code Signing should also be restricted to 27 months.

--

Regards,

Rich Smith

Validation Manager