[cabfpub] Name Constraints, Auditing and EKU

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Fri Apr 5 18:35:26 MST 2013

Steve,

The last time we discussed this on the CABF call, I expressed concern about the idea of technically-constrained certs not needing a third-party audit. We may be putting ourselves in a situation where we'll have to answer some tough questions:

-           If a CA is qualified to perform audits on its Delegated Third Parties, why can't the CA audit itself? Why require a third party for the CA but not its delegates? All certs chain to the same trusted roots, and have the capability to do the same damage.

-          What about the conflict of interest created by that business arrangement? What's to keep CAs from rubber stamping audits of delegates because they stand to lose money if they don't?

-          Does this create a moral hazard where the Delegate might intentionally violate the BRs because they won't bear much of the cost? (their certificate(s) will get revoked, but the CA may have its roots untrusted as a result).

-          The BRs are only as strong as their weakest link, and isn't this a weak link?

I'd feel better about this if we had good answers to these questions.

-Rick