[cabfpub] FW: Short lived OCSP signing certificate

Robert Relyea rrelyea at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 23:38:07 UTC 2012

On 09/20/2012 01:56 AM, Ryan Hurst wrote:
> I personally do.
As a security person, I would agree with you. As someone who at one
point implemented this for a short period in what was a major browser at
the time (early Netscape days), I can say there is a definite difference
in the number of false positives. In the revocation case, there is very
close to zero false positives. If I get an indication that the cert was
revoked, I can be extremely confident that the cert is bad and that
there is no reasonable reason the user should be able to override
blocking the site. In the expiration case, there is a relatively high
rate of false positives, that is certs that are expired because the
admin forgot to renew them. The number of expired certs which are
actually being used as attacks versus the number of expired certs that
exist because of misconfiguration is small, so not allowing the user to
override them generates bad will with the users (though we have
progressively made overriding less friendly to users, which has reduced
the actual number of expired certs active at any time in the wild).

We agree that expired certs are bad, and we treat them as untrusted, but
because there is a high incidence of false positives, we allow them to
be overridden (just like untrusted is overridable).

bob