[cabfpub] Localized CAs (was: Food for Thought)

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Sep 13 16:19:30 UTC 2012

On 28/08/12 20:17, Hill, Brad wrote:
> I'll also remind the list of my similar suggestion at the Norway
> meeting that browsers could use an algorithm similar to the
> anti-spoofing mechanism used today in some places to decide whether
> to display punycode or native scripts in the URL bar for IDNs: if you
> have the language pack installed/enabled at the OS level, show the
> native script, otherwise show punycode.

For interest, Mozilla's solution to this issue is here:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/IDN_Display_Algorithm

We do not support a language-pack-based algorithm because it breaks
"works in one place, works anywhere" and so creates uncertainty about
the legibility of IDNs, which makes them second-class citizens.

For the same reason, we have resisted calls to restrict certain CAs to
certain localized builds of the browser.