[cabfpub] DigiCert proposal comments

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Sep 13 13:59:10 UTC 2012

Here are some additional comments on DigiCert's proposal, with the aim
of refining and clarifying it before the next vote.

1.f: "A non-member expert should be announced at the start of any
meeting in which they are participating to inform Forum member’s of the
non-member’s involvement."

Can we have a more light-weight process than this? For example, if there
is a working group in which a particular non-member is a participant,
does it not become tedious to remind everyone of the fact at start of
the 25th and subsequent teleconferences? :-)

4.c: How are Working Group chairs appointed? Rationale para 3) suggests
we are using the "first person to suggest a working group on a
particular topic" method. Is this the right one?

5.b: "Any member may propose modifications to a work product prior to
the start of a ballot period." Is the Chair also the editor of the
specification? If not, who decides whether a modification goes in or
not? Currently, we have /de facto/ editors for our in-progress specs.
Will that continue?

5.d: "Quorum requirements are met if a majority of the active members in
each membership group participate in a vote." For clarity: does
abstention count as participation?

6.c: There may well be a lot of redundancy in practice between a Forum
Body vote and a Board vote. Could we allow Board members who are in a WG
to vote "Yes at both levels" when voting, and save admin hassle? Or have
an assumption that if a member supports a motion at WG level, they will
support it at Board level?