[cabfpub] DigiCert proposal and Interested Party voting rights

Hill, Brad bhill at paypal-inc.com
Fri Sep 7 21:36:04 UTC 2012

Jeremy,

DigiCert's proposal contains non-board voting rights for Interested Parties, the constituency group that includes customers, relying parties and the general public.

However, it rescinds these rights if there are less than seven active Interested Parties.

Given that:

1)      There have historically been, on average, only a dozen or slightly more active members of the CABF total among both browsers and CAs

2)      The current IPR situation imposes a substantial participation burden on Interested Parties without really guaranteeing them a vote, and never an equal seat on the board

I am concerned that this requirement will, de facto, completely disenfranchise Interested Parties.

I request that you would consider, during the modification phase we are currently in, changing this to require no more than parity with the number of active Application Vendors at the time of any vote. (historically around 4 to 5)

Sincerely,

Brad Hill
Ecosystem Security
PayPal Information Risk Management