[cabfpub] FW: Short lived OCSP signing certificate

Rich Smith richard.smith at comodo.com
Tue Sep 18 09:41:39 MST 2012

Gerv, short-lived certs have certain advantages, but I don't see them as a
solution to revocation.  I do see them as a solution to requiring browsers
needing to add a long-lived cert to an internally maintained blacklist which
can only be updated by an application update.  No matter how short the life
may be I see no real world disadvantage to including revocation information so
that those parties who do check and have not cached that data beyond the life
of the certificate can take advantage of it if the cert does get revoked.  I
have not yet seen a compelling argument for allowing revocation information to
be left out.  If a CA wants to issue a short-lived cert, great, but that CA
MUST still be required to revoke if a problem presents itself during the life
of that cert and the relying party SHOULD still be checking the revocation
status.  I simply don't understand why short-lived certs and revocation
information/checking must be mutually exclusive.  Until I do I will remain
opposed to lifting the requirement to include revocation information in any
issued certificate.  What you do with that information is yours to decide, but
IMO the CA has a responsibility to revoke a certificate if there is a problem
that warrants it, and to make known the method of checking for such a
revocation, and the term of validity of the certificate doesn't absolve us of
that responsibility.

Regards,
Rich