[cabfpub] Arguments in favor of Trend Micro governance proposal

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Fri Sep 14 16:01:35 MST 2012

On 09/14/2012 01:41 AM, From kirk_hall at trendmicro.com:
> Trend Micro believes all Forum Members – big and small – should have
> equal voting rights in the Forum

I believe strongly in this principal too which has functioned fairly
well for the time StartCom has been a member at the forum. Additionally
I believe that the forum isn't a shareholder company or similar type of
organization where boards required and voting powers may differ
depending on stakes.

The costs aren't necessarily a problem, quite honestly the time I spend
with emails and conference calls is far more valuable and expensive than
the proposed fees - even though I'm neither really interested to finance
a body that doesn't need such a structure in first place.

I'm afraid that should the proposal of Digicert * (as were some other
proposals that failed to become finalists) adopted, it will rip the
current forum and participating members entirely apart. I believe that
Kirk's proposal comes closest to what we had that worked reasonably well
and includes what should be improved (and leaves a lot of room for more
improvements should the members wish them). There is a mutual interest
by the current members to work together and improve the various aspects
of Internet security specially in relation to our industry.

* Obviously I respect the efforts from Ben and Jeremy and there is
nothing personal regarding my point of view about their proposal.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
XMPP: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>