[cabfpub] Difference between CA issued DV and DANE certs

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Fri Oct 19 14:23:01 MST 2012

On 10/19/2012 04:46 AM, From Jeremy Rowley:
> 3) As has been pointed out thoroughly in a variety of forums, including most
> notably the revocation working group, that in practice, revocation as
> implemented today by Every Major Browser is not a security mechanism.
>
> [JR] This is primarily a result of browsers refusing to use the information
> provided, not the CAs providing the information.

I think we should consider this a bit differently - revocation works to
the extend to make a certificate unusable for broad (bad) purpose and
commercially uninteresting.

It doesn't work for very specific situations where a considerable effort
must be invested and certain control of the networks in questions is a
must. This could be a state actor for example.

But all the naysayers of revocation mechanisms should carefully point
out when and for which specific situations it doesn't work and where it
does work. I think the claim in this respect is execrated.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
XMPP: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>