[cabfpub] Ballot 92 - Subject Alternative Names

Steve Roylance steve.roylance at globalsign.com
Fri Nov 16 08:35:33 UTC 2012

Morning Ryan,
So what you are saying below, is that because there are a few clients out
there that can only support CN  (CN = mail or CN =192.168.2.1 for example)
then it's acceptable (until Nov 2015) for CAs to offer single dimensional
'intranet' certificates with no other verified content? (This is what Rich
was first eluding to in his initial post)

Does this not mean an attacker could very easily build up a portfolio of
attack certs with various internal names and IPs and pretty much zero
traceability?

Or are you saying (unlike Rich) that other details should be added?  That's
what we are saying with ballot 92.  We are simply saying that to deter
hackers we need to know the details of the entity to add to the Subject O
field and not that they simply have control/access to an FQDN which also may
be untraceable when it comes to investigation/crunch time.

See lines 14/15/16 and 34/35/36 on my spreadsheet with the examples I
created to illustrate the situations we wish to prevent.

I hope it's clear that this is both from a security perspective and as
Jeremy already answered last night, relying party understanding perspective.

Have a great weekend and no doubt speak to you on Monday's call ;-)

Steve