[cabfpub] Edited CA-Browser Forum Bylaws (v3)

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Fri Nov 9 01:08:59 UTC 2012

Thanks, Gerv.  Responses IN LINE below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gervase Markham [mailto:gerv at mozilla.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:55 AM
To: Kirk Hall (RD-US)
Cc: CABFPub (public at cabforum.org); management at cabforum.org
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Edited CA-Browser Forum Bylaws (v3)

On 05/11/12 18:07, kirk_hall at trendmicro.com wrote:
> I have now added a number of suggested edits to the previous Trend
> Micro document “Proposed CA-Browser Forum Bylaws (v1)”, which I posted
> on October 15.

Hi Kirk,

I have a couple of comments:

1.1. I'm not sure about the last sentence; I believe Ben proposed an edit to it as well. I certainly take your point that the initial version of the Bylaws should simply be codifying what we do already, but I'd suggest that "text someone wrote for the website" (which is where these two paras are from) is in a different category to "text adopted by the Forum as a ballot". So I would support you accepting Ben's edit in this case.  I'D LIKE TO COMPLETELY RE-WRITE IT MYSELF, SO IF YOU WILL FORBEAR, LET'S LEAVE IT AS IT IS (BAD AS IT MAY BE) AND OPEN IT UP TO A REWRITE LATER...  OTHERS MAY WANT TO RESTATE WHAT THE FORUM IS ALL ABOUT DURING THAT PROCESS.

4.1. "filled by Forum Members". Members are companies or organizations; would "filled by Member representatives" be better? I note that in the definition section, the definition of Member contains a deliberate reference to the ambiguity between the organization and the individual.
This 'solves' the problem, but leads to ambiguity. Would it not make more sense to have two terms: "Member" for the org and "Member representative" for the person, and use them consistently throughout?
I WILL MAKE THAT CHANGE.  FOR THE MOST PART, I WANT "MEMBER" AND "MEMBER REPRESENTATIVE" TO BE THE SAME -- I.E., MEMBER -- SO WE DON'T GO DOWN A RATHOLE (AND SO ANY ACTIONS BY THE MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES IN THE FORUM ARE DEEMED THE ACTIONS OF THE MEMBERS).

Hope that helps,

TREND MICRO EMAIL NOTICE