[cabfpub] [cabfman] Ballot 92 - Certificate examples to aid discussions.

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Wed Nov 7 20:07:29 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012 08:09 PM, From Ryan Sleevi:

> As repeatedly mentioned, SNI deployment in practice is such that it's
> not a viable option for a variety of sites - particularly those that
> need to work for a wide array of devices and platforms, such as Bank
> of America.

Don't make me laugh....they don't need SNI nor should in any way be any
of their domains somewhere cloaked up in some DV cert among a bunch of
other domains. If that were the case I'd highly suggest not use this any
of their sites.

I believe there are many more sites which simply shouldn't neither have
the need for it nor should be using DV certs at all. Would I find such a
certificate, I probably would actively distrust it.

Coming back to Steve's original primary concern, do you really believe
that sharing a key amongst many different sites, entities and domains is
a good security practice? That bigtits.com and paypal.com should share
the same keys?

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>