[cabfpub] Ballot 92 - Subject Alternative Names

Steve Roylance steve.roylance at globalsign.com
Tue Nov 20 04:13:46 MST 2012

Hi Mark,

Yes, there are no changes to the timeframe for short names in OV
certificates.

The proposed wording for this requirement is read as follows:

> If the subjectAltName is:
>
> 3)              a Reserved IP Address or Internal Server Name,
>
> then the CA MUST verify the identity of an entity that controls the private
> key in accordance with Section 11.2 and include the Subject Identity
> Information in the issued Certificate in accordance with 9.2.4.

Here's a summary for short names across certificates.

EV – Shortnames not supported due to the requirement for SANs to have FQDNs
only.
OV/IV – Shortnames allowed until the sunset dates in 2015/2016 under current
BR rules and under Ballot 92 rules.
DV – Shortnames to sunset earlier under Ballot 92 in July 2013 due to lack
of traceability for all parties with this certificate variant.  (Relying
party, Subscriber and CA)

Steve

From:  "Janssen, M.A. (Mark) - Logius" <mark.janssen at logius.nl>
Date:  Tuesday, 20 November 2012 10:47
To:  "public at cabforum.org" <public at cabforum.org>
Subject:  Re: [cabfpub] Ballot 92 - Subject Alternative Names

So, do I understand it correctly that an OV cert which includes a Reserved
IP Address or an Internal Server Name in the Subject Common Name Field is
not prohibited? If so this should be made clear in the ballot.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Mark Janssen
Senior Advisor PKIoverheid
Logius
The ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations (BZK)
Wilhelmina van Pruisenweg 52 | 2595 AN | The Hague
P.O. Box 96810 | 2509 JE | The Hague
T +31(0) 70 8887 967
F +31(0) 70 8887 882
mark.janssen at logius.nl <mailto:mark.janssen at logius.nl>
http://www.logius.nl/
<https://webmail.ictu.nl/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.logius.nl/>
Service e-government
Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this mail?