[cabfpub] [cabfman] Ballot [94] - Adoption of CA/Browser Forum Bylaws

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Thu Nov 15 15:21:18 MST 2012

On 11/16/2012 12:17 AM, From kirk_hall at trendmicro.com:
> I have always viewed the Forum as a place where CAs and browsers
> together can develop recommendations for best practices via Guidelines
> – but they are not binding on any CA because of Forum action.  The
> Guidelines only become binding on CAs if one or more browsers
> independently choose to incorporate them as requirements for
> participation in their trusted root programs.

This statement on the other hand I'm not sure if it's correct. If
something makes it into the guidelines, CAs will be audited against it
sooner or later. Browsers don't have to "incorporate" that into their
requirements, they already did by requiring or accepted an EV audit for
example.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>