[cabfpub] BR Issue 7

Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera Software ASA) yngve at opera.com
Tue Nov 6 11:18:52 MST 2012

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 17:08:12 +0100, Rob Stradling
<rob.stradling at comodo.com> wrote:

> However, I'm afraid we can't accept the AIA->caIssuers changes in
> Yngve's motion for the following reasons:
>
> 1. As written...
> "Subordinate CA Certificate...authorityInfoAccess...MUST contain...the
> HTTP URL where a copy of the Issuing (non-Root) CA's certificate...can
> be downloaded"
> ...Yngve's motion outlaws Subordinate CA Certificates issued directly by
> Root Certificates which have not been cross-certified!

That is not the intention.

The intention is that if a Sub-ordinate CA certificate was NOT issued by a
Root, *then* it must have an AIA URL so that the client can (try to) trace
the chain of the certificate to a Root certificate that it recognizes.

This is means that for EE->CA1->CA2->CA3->Root , then EE, CA1, and CA2
have to contain an AIA URL, CA3 does not need it, and if it does it should
not be to a file with the Root certificate.

Perhaps the confusion can be avoided by specifically saying "a
Sub-Ordinate CA certificate issued by a SubOrdinate CA" would fix the
problem?

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen
Senior Developer		     Email: yngve at opera.com
Opera Software ASA                   http://www.opera.com/
Phone:  +47 96 90 41 51              Fax:    +47 23 69 24 01