[cabfpub] More changes to proposed policy update

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Wed May 23 02:19:31 MST 2012

On 23/05/12 09:57, Rob Stradling wrote:
> On 23/05/12 09:54, Rob Stradling wrote:
> <snip>
>> (Cross-posting to the new CABForum public list, 'cos that's probably
>> where we should continue this discussion!)
>
> Doh!  The correct address for the cabfpub list is public at cabforum.org.

And here's the original message...

On 23/05/12 00:52, Kathleen Wilson wrote:
<snip>
 > I think we're only talking about two exceptions to the BRs, and one of
 > those exceptions is simply because critical name constraints are not
 > yet widely enough supported (hopefully that will change soon). Since
 > we are planning to require name constraints in certain situations, we
 > need to allow a use of them that will work in practice.

Kathleen,
I don't see how allowing non-critical Name Constraints in just the
Mozilla policy "will work in practice".

RFC5280 says that Name Constraints MUST be critical.
The Baseline Requirements v1.0 says "All other fields and extensions
MUST be set in accordance to RFC 5280", meaning Name Constraints MUST be
critical.

Mozilla plans to allow non-critical Name Constraints and maybe some
other browser/software vendors will follow suit, but I think we have to
assume that at least some browser/software vendors will choose to
require strict adherence to the BRs.

So it's likely that using non-critical Name Constraints would violate at
least one browser/software vendor's policy, which in practice would mean
that most CAs would _not_ be able to use non-critical Name Constraints.
  (Very few CAs need to follow _only_ Mozilla's policy!)

The consensus on the PKIX list seemed to be against updating RFC5280 to
allow non-critical Name Constraints, but several folks suggested that it
would be reasonable for the Baseline Requirements to be modified to
allow non-critical Name Constraints.

Therefore, I think that Mozilla should propose a change to the Baseline
Requirements to allow non-critical Name Constraints.  I'd be happy to
endorse it.  I'd be surprised if anybody voted against it!

After that, there would be no need to have an exception in the Mozilla
policy, and we would be able to say that non-critical Name Constraints
"will work in practice".

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist