[cabfpub] Possible CAB Forum objection to some gTLD applications

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Jun 28 04:34:18 MST 2012

During the face-to-face meeting, it was suggested that the CAB Forum
might like to make a submission to ICANN objecting to certain gTLD
applications, on the basis that they are already widely used for
internal networks and that this would be a security risk. ".corp" was
suggested as one potential TLD which is widely used internally.

(CAs are reminded that they are requested to search their issuance
databases and compile statistics about the prevalence of these
internal-use suffixes, and send the results to Rick Andrews for collation.)

Here's the bad news. The objection procedure is here:
http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/objection-dispute-resolution

- There are only four narrow grounds under which one can object to an
  application.

- You need to have standing of a particular sort to file an objection.

- It costs lots of money to file and prosecute an objection. It depends
  on the grounds, but we are probably talking €17,000 for a "Limited
  Public Interest" filing.

- You have to file a separate objection to each application, so e.g. if
  we wanted to object to the delegation of ".corp", we would need to
  file 6 objections!

This is the most undemocratic and inaccessible bit of internet
governance I have ever seen.

We can "make a comment", but that has much less force than an objection.