[cabfpub] ISO 3166-1 country codes

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Tue Jul 31 21:24:03 UTC 2012

On 07/31/2012 11:26 PM, From Rich Smith:
> The politics involved don't concern me, and shouldn't concern us as a
> Forum, except that ISO 3166 takes its lead from the UN so until the UN
> makes a final decision, 3166 doesn't get updated.  A UN decision on
> this or anything else like it could take years (it's already been 4)
> *or never come*.

Exactly, that's the point. But lets look at the options the standard
nevertheless provides? Isn't there a code that would say "undefined" or
similar? OR leaving it out might be even the more correct way because
it's not something the CA can really confirm (because it doesn't exist)?

> I think my proposal does exactly that and it's neutral as far as which
> side of the fence a particular CAs jurisdiction falls into with
> regards to the politics involved.

No, I'd have a problem with it, both as a CA and as a relying party. If
that's the case, than why should we follow a certain standard? Lets
abolish ISO country standards at all and do whatever a CA in a
particular jurisdiction feels is correct. Then we are on equal footing.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
XMPP: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>