[cabfpub] ISO 3166-1 country codes

William Madell bill.madell at trustis.com
Tue Jul 31 19:09:24 UTC 2012

Rich –

I think Eddy’s got a point regarding the public meaningfulness of an arbitrary/unofficial country code.

Section 9.2.5 mandates the use of a defined – therefore, meaningful – code for the countryName attribute.  The X.520 rules say an ISO 3166-1/3 alpha-2 code is used.  ISO 3166/MA says, “here’s a bunch of unassigned alpha-2 codes that can be user-defined.”  So, maybe the answer is to define it within the Certificate Policy under which the cert is issued?

Perhaps, we could expand sec. 9.2.5 to allow that approach; it might look like this:

Contents: If the subject:countryName field is present, then the CA SHALL verify the country associated with the Subject in accordance with Section 11.2.5 and use its two-letter ISO 3166-1 country code.  If a country is not assigned a two-letter ISO 3166-1 country code, a CA MAY utilise a user-assigned code.  If the CA utilises a user-assigned code, the CA MUST define the country identified by the code in its Certificate Policy or Certification Practice Statement.

The alternative, of course, is to issue a certificate to a Kosovo entity which does NOT contain a countryName attribute (which, if I read it correctly, also means the certificate must not contain an organization attribute).

Regards,
Bill