[cabfpub] ISO 3166-1 country codes

Rich Smith richard.smith at comodo.com
Tue Jul 31 15:10:40 MST 2012

Given that my customer is a ministry of the government of Kosovo, I don't
really think that going to fly with them, and it doesn't really fly with me
in terms of maintaining conformance to the laws of the two countries (UK and
US) to which Comodo CA is subject.

As I said, and I'm not trying to be difficult, but the real world fact, from
my perspective, and that of my customer and the laws to which we are both
subject, is that the Republic of Kosovo legally exists as a sovereign
country.  I have an organization which is validated to an EV standard.  I'm
going to solve the problem one way or the other, but my preference is for it
to be done at the Forum level so that there is an official standard in our
industry and relying parties can thereby identify it properly and
consistently.  As I see it, the way to do that is follow the European
Commission's lead and use XK until such time as there is an official 3166
code and publish that as a CA/B Forum standard so that relying parties can
clearly identify it across all CAs.  If a CA is subject to a jurisdiction
where their real world fact is that there is no country called the Republic
of Kosovo, they are free to use the code for Serbia (my guess is they won't
get much business from organizations based in Kosovo, but that's neither
here nor there).

As previously stated, I'm open to edits of my suggested wording, and I'm
open to alternate solutions that solve the problem, BUT saying pretend the
Republic of Kosovo doesn't exist until there's an official ISO 3166 code for
it is NOT a solution.  ISO doesn't create the country.

-Rich