[cabfpub] ISO 3166-1 country codes

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Tue Jul 31 12:14:32 MST 2012

On 07/31/2012 10:03 PM, From Rich Smith:

> I'm not in favor because this code doesn't say really anything to a
> relying party (could be as well XX). A code that hasn't been approved
> shall not be used because it's not possible to recognize it.
>
> */[RWS] OK, I do recognize that XK being unofficial does make it
> problematic, and that's why I wanted to get a standard set at the CA/B
> Forum level, so it IS identifiable across the industry.  I have
> submitted a draft motion which addresses the situation in the same way
> that the organization to which the UN passed responsibility for the
> region has addressed it, and it will allow a CA to issue a certificate
> in accordance with the laws of the respective jurisdictions to which
> the CA and it's customer are subject.
> /*

It's problematic because you basically issue the certificates actually
for the relying parties. And those you don't know from where they are.
Now in such cases there are usually politics involved that makes it even
worse.

> */The motion clarifies this situation in the BRs and takes into
> account both those jurisdictions which DO and DO NOT recognize the
> sovereignty of the Republic of Kosovo.
> /*

There are other regions and entities that are in similar situations and
I'm not sure we should get into it...

> */I am absolutely open to constructive edits of that motion for
> clarity.  I'm also open to better suggestions if anyone has one, but I
> do want to get this resolved quickly as I have a customer, verified to
> EV standards, waiting in the wings for a decision./*

I would prefer to stay on the save side by using only approved ISO
codes. Those entities that are affected by it have to work towards
having it standardized, which I assume they do or can't exactly because
of the controversy that surround them usually.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
XMPP: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>