[cabfpub] Ballot[80] - BR Response for non-issued certificates

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Mon Jul 23 09:55:10 MST 2012

Yngve, I agree with this 100%. But why doesn't your proposal include a requirement for browsers and other clients? Unless we make changes in browsers and other clients, the attacker has a great chance at remaining undiscovered.

<snip>

> > -          Any CA that uses a CRL-based OCSP responder product (and
> > Symantec does, for a subset of our CAs) will be unable to comply until
> > the vendor builds in that functionality (we think it's non-trivial) and
> > the CA deploys it, or the CA replaces the CRL-based OCSP responder with
> > one not based on CRLs. Neither option can be accomplished in 6 months;
> > both options will probably take a year or more.
>
> Given the new threat environment, I think that the CRL-based OCSP
> responders are no longer suitable for providing secure status information.

This gives me another reason to vote against this proposal - it doesn't include that statement. If that is your intent (eliminate the use of CRL-based OCSP responders) or if that is the practical effect of your proposal, I believe it should be spelled out clearly in the proposal for all to see and understand.

-Rick