[cabfpub] Localized CAs (was: Food for Thought)

Hill, Brad bhill at paypal-inc.com
Thu Aug 30 16:21:52 UTC 2012

If that's common for your customers, you wouldn't opt-in to declaring your CA as only serving a limited market.

I think the most obvious use case would be government-associated CAs (of which there are already many) that only issue for businesses, citizens or other governmental entities within their own jurisdictions and want to reduce their attractiveness to attackers.   Though a few commercial CAs might choose to do so, certainly none of the major players today would.

If there is no interest, it isn't worth pursuing.  But as Ryan Hurst has pointed out, http://unmitigatedrisk.com/?p=181, there are already 46 government owned and operated root certificates in the Windows trust store, operated by 33 different agencies in 26 countries.  That's a pretty big number.  Almost certainly we will have more in the future.

Maybe for commercial CAs a more interesting capability would be to be able to declare markets you do *not* do business in: Iran, China, etc.