[cabfpub] Observers

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Sat Aug 25 00:48:20 UTC 2012

As I recall, the main reason some Forum members wanted an IPR policy in the first place was to avoid "submarining" - a member making suggestions that go into mandatory standards, then claiming IP rights, etc.

To my mind, there is a bigger danger from allowing CAs to participate as "observers" without signing the IPR than there is for other necessary experts (e.g., auditors).  As I know from AffirmTrust's experience as an observer, observers contribute ideas and suggestions just as freely as members.

So the danger of submarining exists if CAs are allowed in as observers without signing the IPR.  In contrast, non-CA observers who don't sign the IPR are somewhat less likely to contribute their IP and then claim infringement.  I would not open up the whole Forum to CAs who won't sign the IPR.

I would not object to letting CAs who won't sign the IPR participate in the IPR working group if that will lead to a solution that lets them sign an IPR and rejoin the Forum.