[cabfpub] Revised ISO 3166-1 Motion

Rich Smith richard.smith at comodo.com
Thu Aug 2 09:32:16 MST 2012

I've taken another approach at this replacement of my original motion to see
if maybe this better addresses the issues and concerns involved.  Rather than
an appendix, I've added the following to Section 9.2.5 with the intention that
any user-assigned codes will be posted in a separate document rather than
being officially part of the BRs.

I think this contains all of the important content from the previous motion,
addressing the concerns voiced by Bill, Jeremy and Gerv, but makes it clear
that the CA/B Forums role is this type of situation is purely advisory and as
that of a repository of usage information, which I hope addresses Eddy's
concerns about having the Forum get embroiled in the politics of the subject
matter.

Bill Madell has agreed to endorse so I'm looking for one more.

Rich Smith made the following motion, and Bill Madell and _______ have
endorsed it.

-----Motion begins-----

Add to Section 9.2.5:

In a case where the controlling jurisdiction of the CA has recognized a
country which has not yet been assigned an official ISO 3166-1 country code,
the CA MAY, in accordance with the laws and regulations of the jurisdiction to
which it is subject, assign a code from those defined as user-assigned in ISO
3166.  The CA MUST include such assignment in their Certificate Policy or
Certificate Practice Statement in order to provide Relying Parties adequate
information regarding such use.

Codes defined by ISO 3166-1 for user assignment are:

AA, QM to QZ, XA to XZ, and ZZ

When assigning a code, care SHOULD be taken to avoid using a user-assigned
code already in wide use by a well-known, or highly referenced organization,
except if used to refer to the same nation or geographic region.

If an official ISO 3166-1 designation is subsequently assigned then all CAs
MUST cease using such user-assigned codes and adopt the use of the official
ISO 3166-1 designation for any new issuance, and MUST replace or revoke any
issued certificates containing the user-assigned designation within six months
of the assignment of the official ISO 3166-1 designation.

The CA/B Forum will act only as an advisor to, and repository of such
user-assigned codes.  In order to maintain consistency across the industry, a
CA contemplating such user-assigned code SHOULD notify the CA/B Forum of such
intent.

In order to facilitate easier identification by Relying Parties, the CA/B
Forum will maintain a current list of user-assigned codes in use by CAs, if
any.  CAs operating in jurisdictions which recognize the same country or
region contained in a previously user-assigned code SHOULD use the same code
previously assigned and posted with the CA/B Forum.

--

Regards,

Rich Smith

Validation Manager