[cabfcert_policy] Conflict Merging Master into ClarifyCADefinition

Ben Wilson ben.wilson at digicert.com
Fri May 18 12:15:40 MST 2018

OK - thanks for the clarification.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dimitris Zacharopoulos <jimmy at it.auth.gr>
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2018 1:07 PM
To: Ben Wilson <ben.wilson at digicert.com>; policyreview at cabforum.org
Cc: Tim Hollebeek <tim.hollebeek at digicert.com>
Subject: Re: Conflict Merging Master into ClarifyCADefinition

On 18/5/2018 7:39 μμ, Ben Wilson wrote:
> Dimitris,
> Github says you want to "merge 6 commits into master from ClarifyCADefinition2".  Shouldn't it be the other way around?
> Thanks,
> Ben

No. ClarifyCADefinition2 includes all commits that advanced since we created the ClarifyCADefinition branch of the master branch. Here is an "illustration" of what happened.

BR v1.5.3 (master)  --->     WG (ClarifyCADefinition)
      |                                      WG meeting changes
      |                                               | BR v1.5.4 (master)                     |
      |                                      WG more meeting changes ...
BR v1.5.7 (master)                     |

So, all this time, the master branch was advancing and so was the ClarifyCADefinition, but these master commits were not merged to the "ClarifyCADefinition" branch which made them out of sync. This created a conflict in 3.2.2.4.1 which had to be resolved manually. Instead of updating the "ClarifyCADefinition" branch, I created a new one that includes all commits from BR 1.5.3 to 1.5.7 AND the commits performed by the WG in the ClarifyCADefinition branch.

The pull request shows the comparison of changes against the existing final version or BR 1.5.7. The request should not be merged. It is here just to display the changes proposed by the WG.

Dimitris.