[cabfcert_policy] Next Policy Review Working Group Call Discussion about fixes to ballot 188

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Mon Jul 17 14:29:09 MST 2017

Following-up on the discussions at the F2F 41 meeting, I reviewed the
working group's draft of BRs 1.4.2 (per Kirk's suggestion I did not make
an effort to apply the changes to the latest BRs). Here is a summary of
proposed changes from ballot 188:

  * The term "Externally Operated Subordinate CAs" is now only in
    6.1.1.1 and 7.1.6.3.
  * The term "Internally Operated Subordinate CAs" is now only in 7.1.6.3.
  * The rest of the BRs use the wider term of "Subordinate CA Operator"
  * Added the term "CA Operator" for every use of the term "CA"
  * Reviewed the use of the term "CA Certificate" to make sure the scope
    is right and revised one instance where a wider scope ("CA
    Operator") was required.
  * Capitalized some forgotten "should", "shall", "may".
  * Added two comments to identify some paragraphs that might need some
    language improvements and one comment for an incorrect reference.

It would be great if we had some feedback from Ryan before the Policy
Review WG this Thursday (the Policy Review WG has a teleconference one
hour before the regular CA/B Forum meeting), to make sure we have
properly addressed the previous concerns from ballot 188. Of course,
other members are free to comment and offer improvements or suggestions.

Hopefully, if the major concerns that caused ballot 188 to fail have
been properly addressed, we will create a diff version _after ballots
202 and 190 are voted_, because they introduce several changes and
things will be very confusing if we try to apply these proposed changes
in the current BRs.

Best regards,

Dimitris.