[cabfcert_policy] CA vs. CAO

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Wed Nov 23 05:20:22 MST 2016

On 23/11/2016 2:04 μμ, Moudrick M. Dadashov via Policyreview wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> actually the term "Certification service provider" is no longer used
> and replaced by far more generic “Trust Service Provider”.
>
> Thanks,
> M.D.

Right. The "specific meanings" in EU directives are actually quite broad
:) Even if you only operate and offer Time Stamping services, you can be
considered a TSP. The BRs give more elements to the "CA" term then what
it is used in other standards. This creates confusion which IMHO the
term "TSP" has resolved. Normally, the "CA" would be a unit limited to
exchanging information between other TSP units (for example RAs) and
performing/managing all certificate cryptographic operations. That
probably requires a separate discussion.

Dimitris.