[cabfcert_policy] CA vs. CA draft proposal

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Thu Aug 11 02:44:59 MST 2016

On 14/7/2016 9:23 μμ, Ben Wilson wrote:
> On the next call we’ll have some sections to discuss with the Baseline
> Requirements, but are there any other topics we’d like to address?
> There are two new topics that we’d like to address at the next
> face-to-face meeting.  One is an action item to address  the use of
> the  terms “CA,” “subordinate CA,” “intermediate CA”, etc. and the
> other is somewhat related and that  is CA annual audits and whether
> subordinate/intermediate CAs generated by CAs during the audit period
> (after the audit letter)  require point-in-time audits.  CAs have
> yearly audit cycles, and it seems onerous to require a point-in-time
> readiness assessment for every new issuing CA.  Some CAs create many
> issuing CAs during the year as a means for distributing risk, and
> requiring additional audits would discourage that.  We need to gather
> input from auditors and browsers on this issue.  For example,
> Microsoft and Mozilla are expecting to be able to correlate an audit
> report with each CA, but what  about new ones under the same  root?

Following-up on the last F2F Policy WG action
<https://cabforum.org/2016/05/25/2016-05/> and the July 14th call, I
have prepared a version of the BR version 1.3.7 highlighting in Green
and Yellow whether the term CA is used to refer to an Organization or an
X.509 Certificate with basicConstraints:CA=True, respectively.

Tim, I know we said that we'll work independently on this but I'm sure
you will find this helpful :)

During this review, I came across several sections that could be
improved. I added comments to indicate my suggestions. Please feel free
to comment and we can discuss this further.

Best regards,
Dimitris.

On 1/6/2016 1:23 πμ, Peter Bowen wrote:
> Did this get discussed at all in Bilbao?  Should we send this to the public list?
>
>> On May 6, 2016, at 3:08 AM, Barreira Iglesias, Iñigo <i-barreira at izenpe.eus> wrote:
>>
>> Well, if it can help, the old EU directive was using the term CSP because only refer to entities issuing certificates, public key certificates, and then in the new eIDAS regulation changed to the TSP term because there´re can be different trust services provided by different or the same entity. Since in the CABF documents is also mentioned the timestamp that can be provided by the same entity that is providing certificates or by a different one,  think the right term to use is TSP, and it´s aligned with the EU approach.
>> I think the PSP term is more generic on the technical implementation/solutions/standards rather on services and/or products (certificates, timestamps, ...) that use the current "CAs". In fact there´s another term such as WebPKI so is this also another subset within the PSP, which BTW sounds to me to the Sony Playstation Portable gamepad :-).
>> I also think that the term TSP allows more room for future/new products/services not tied to PKI.
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> Iñigo Barreira
>> Responsable del Área técnica
>> i-barreira at izenpe.eus
>> 945067705
>>

>> ERNE! Baliteke mezu honen zatiren bat edo mezu osoa legez babestuta egotea. Mezua badu bere hartzailea. Okerreko helbidera heldu bada (helbidea gaizki idatzi, transmisioak huts egin) eman abisu igorleari, korreo honi erantzuna. KONTUZ!
>> ATENCION! Este mensaje contiene informacion privilegiada o confidencial a la que solo tiene derecho a acceder el destinatario. Si usted lo recibe por error le agradeceriamos que no hiciera uso de la informacion y que se pusiese en contacto con el remitente.

>>> b.       Certificate Service Provider (CSP)
>>> c.       PKI Service Provider (SP)
>>> d.       Certificate Issuer (CI)