[cabf_netsec] NCSSR Section 2.g.ii

Neil Dunbar ndunbar at trustcorsystems.com
Tue Mar 24 08:05:25 MST 2020

I don't read them as being contradictory.

The first sentence is simply saying that _if_ you are coming into a
secure zone from a less-than-secure zone, multiple authentication
factors are mandatory. Those factors may, or may not, include a password
authentication. An example which might not: SSH into a high security
zone, with the private key on a FIPS-140-2 device, and public key
authentication selected, which then prompts for a One-Time-Password from
the user to complete the login.

The second sentence is saying that _if_ such accounts _could_ be used
from the outside (even if, in practice, they are not so used), _and_
they rely on a password, then the password regime must involve password
complexity, retain history, employ a lockout function and so on. Thus,
were my workstation in a secure zone, and I desired to log into an
account which was in the same secure zone, I could do so with a single
factor (password authentication), so long as the password regime was as
described.

So I think they are complementary. That said, I think the text could be
made a little clearer, if my understanding is indeed correct. On a point
of principle, account lockout is something that I've always felt uneasy
about, since it's so easy to use as an availability attack vector.

Cheers,

Neil