[cabf_netsec] Draft Final Report of the NetSec WG

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Thu Jun 14 11:32:25 MST 2018

Neil, I think this is an excellent draft and captures the general
feeling of the WG. I believe we examined CIS and ISO 27000. The result
of this examination was that these are frameworks for Information
Security Management Systems and provide excellent guidance, but they
have to be specifically applied to a CA management system in order to
produce meaningful and auditable criteria.

There were attempts to map CIS with NSR and WebTrust for CAs. It appears
that there are many similarities. And to be realistic, WebTrust for CAs
and ETSI EN 319 401 (with references to ISO 27002) provide excellent
guidance and include a large number of illustrative controls that could
apply to the CA industry.

IMO the NSRs describe more specific "practices/procedures"(how we
achieve our policies) rather than "policies" (what we want and why),
which is a good thing but they fall short on describing some of the
existing security challenges. The examined frameworks provide general
areas of concern that need to be further analyzed in more detail in
order to produce specific requirements, consistent with the security
goals of the CA industry.

Dimitris.