[cabf_netsec] Notes from Today's NetSec Call

Tobias S. Josefowitz tobij at opera.com
Fri Apr 27 07:01:39 MST 2018

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018, Dimitris Zacharopoulos via Netsec wrote:

> Sorry I missed yesterday's meeting. Making bigger steps, as historically
> demonstrated, is not an achievable goal. The NCSSRs have been used not just
> for CAs issuing SSL Certificates but for all kinds. They have been integrated
> in International audit standards (WebTrust, ETSI, who knows what else). I
> would recommend sticking to existing decisions and goals that were set both
> from the WG and from the larger Forum. We also agreed from the very beginning
> that we would try to tackle with the non-controversial issues first before
> moving to the more controversial ones. I don't think we are ready to handle
> more controversial issues before dealing with the non-controversial.

Sorry for rocking the boat, not my intention. I agree with you in
principle. My comment may in parts have been motivated by me personally
losing track a tiny little bit.

To get back on track, I have started to prepare a git repository tracking
our changes and work in progress; I plan to organize this in branches like
"ballot/221" or "wip/definitions", however the final structure will emerge
only once I have added all the changes. I intend to make this available on
github as soon as I am done, in case anyone should be interested in that.

In addition I will very cautiously suggest that I hope that tracking our
changes in git in some cases might help to move some work outside of the
WG calls; i.e. the WG could agree on changes on a high level and then a
volunteer could make an "implementation suggestion" until the next call,
which we can then discuss.

Tobi