[cabf_netsec] Draft Minutes

Dean Coclin Dean_Coclin at symantec.com
Sun Jun 25 21:11:27 MST 2017

Reposting these to the NetSec list. These will be posted for approval at the first meeting:

Here are my notes of Tuesday's (June 20, 2017) chartering of the Network Security Working Group:

It appears that Ballot 203 has passed (although not formally announced by the Chair) and Ben (as Vice Chair) called for participants for the WG

The following raised their hands: Ben Wilson, Dimitris Zacharopoulos, Jos Purvis, Mike Reilly, Ryan Hurst, Doug Beattie, Steve Medin, Dean Coclin, Don Sheehy, Moudrick Dadashov, Robin Alden, Neil Dunbar, Wayne Thayer, Tim Shirley, Bruce Morton, Gerv Markham (volunteering Tom Ritter of Mozilla), Janet Treasure, Dean Coclin

The Forum Chair will send out a formal notice of invitation to members and interested parties to join the working group.

Dean nominated Gerv (or representative of Mozilla) as WG Chair. Ben said we should wait till the formal notice goes out. Ryan Hurst volunteered to be interim chair

Wayne will setup the WG mail list.

A regular meeting will be scheduled on the alternate weeks of the regular CABF meetings, same time.

For today's meeting we discussed the following:

1.       Partially reviewed Ben's spreadsheet of issues

2.       The current regulations do not accommodate CAs in cloud environments

3.       Don Sheehy suggests a "risk based" approach, rather than a "controls based" approach

4.       Ryan H suggests we don't have the right people in the room to create/modify this document

5.       Root programs don't universally agree on the current reqts in the Net Sec document

It was hoped that a general call for participants will result in interested parties with general knowledge of this area and/or professionals from the participating CAs

Dean