[Infrastructure] Minutes of the 21-April-2021 Infrastructure Subcommittee Meeting

Wayne Thayer wthayer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 15:51:58 UTC 2021

*Attendees:Jos Purvis, Ben WIlson, Corey Bonnell, Jeff Ward, Don Sheehy,
Shelley Brewer, Dimitris Zacharopoulos, Ryan Sleevi, Dean Coclin, Wayne
ThayerJos read the antitrust statement.Minutes from the 7-April meeting
were approved.Mailing ListJos said that we realized that the AWS mailing
host wasn’t configured properly. The anti-spam measures weren’t turned on,
so Amazon flagged our account. All of those anti-spam measures are now
enabled. We also realized that we weren’t receiving notifications from AWS.
Now those are going to a private list called “infrabot”. Let Jos know if
you want to be subscribed. We can use the same list for GitHub
notifications.In those notifications, Jos noticed that a bunch of email
addresses were bouncing. Most were old and no longer used. A few are more
recent and Jos asked what to do with those. Dean said they are probably no
longer active. An example of dean.coclin at digicert.net
<dean.coclin at digicert.net> was given. Dean said that address was never
valid.GitHubRyan said that there is nothing new to share on the automation
work.Jos said that we’d try to get the digest emails working in the next
few weeks.WebsiteBen said that the website has been cloned to
https://tj4.9bc.myftpupload.com/ <https://tj4.9bc.myftpupload.com/> You can
log in using the same account if you have one on the live site. Now we can
experiment with changes and migrate them to the live site once we’ve
completed the work.Jos said that we have a new Google account that we can
use to “own” Google docs/sheets. The username and password is in our
password manager, We can transfer ownership to this account and then share
with others.Jos has been working on a new membership spreadsheet. Jos found
a mailman tool that will perform a mailing list membership synch using a
CSV file.Ryan asked about read-only public list subscribers that wouldn’t
be in the sheet?Dimitris said that the spreadsheet was originally only for
private lists. When someone leaves the Forum, we just set the moderation
bit on public lists.Ryan said that mailman 3 provides an API that would
allow this automation, but we’re currently running mailman 2.Jos said that
we want to upgrade but it’s a lot of effort. He will play around with
commands on the existing mailman installation to determine if there is a
way to synch public lists without losing the read-only subscribers.Ryan
said that he’d like to drive WG membership lists off of a master sheet, and
this can be accomplished now.Jos said that we can also start by driving
private list membership from the spreadsheet, and worry about public lists
later.Any other businessJos mentioned that there are lots of AWS
permissions and someone who is more familiar with AWS is welcome to provide
suggested improvements to our configuration.Wayne asked about this
discussion about interested parties on GitHub:
https://github.com/cabforum/servercert/issues/255#issuecomment-823420886
<https://github.com/cabforum/servercert/issues/255#issuecomment-823420886>Ryan
said that this is a website issue. We have added some info on GitHub
(contributing.md).Jos asked how we should handle comments coming in via
GitHub versus the questions mailing list.Ryan said that comments on GitHub
could be automatically forwarded to the questions list if the IPR agreement
hasn’t been signed. An issue has been filed to track some of this work:
https://github.com/cabforum/forum/issues/7
<https://github.com/cabforum/forum/issues/7>In the short term, Ryan said
that we can respond to comments on GitHub by asking people to email the
questions list. We can also update the website. Wayne volunteered to do
this, and Ben said that he had already created a page that can be used as a
starting point.The meeting was adjourned.*