[Infrastructure] Notes of Infrastructure Meeting 7-April-2021

Ben Wilson bwilson at mozilla.com
Wed Apr 7 17:07:44 UTC 2021

*Meeting of 7-April-2021*

*Present:* Ben Wilson, Jos Purvis, Ryan Sleevi, Dean Coclin, Shelley
Brewer, Dimitris Zacharopoulos, Iñigo Barreira, Corey Bonnell, Don Sheehy,
and Jeff Ward

*Antitrust Statement* read by Jos.

*Minutes* of 24-March-2021 were approved.

*GitHub Updates*

Ryan – There were intermittent issues with the build guidelines tool where
work on a local branch or pull request would fail. Those are sorted out
now. It had to do with the Latex publishing to PDF. We made it download
less. We performed GitHub integration so that the steps are published as a
docker image which reduced random downloads necessary to build PDFs.  There
are minor changes left for the working groups.  Ryan has already worked on
the Server Cert WG issue, and other working groups should be able to copy
from the Doc GitHub directory to use the new tooling. Related to that, Ryan
cleaned up artifacts from the old infrastructure now that SC41 has landed
(there shouldn’t be any weasyprint or kramdown bits left over). Ryan is not
aware of any remaining action items on the automated building part,
although he is still working on the HTML output, which will help with the
redlines.  We are stable now on Github.  Ryan will still be working on
formatting to support the Validation Subgroup’s certificate profiles
(fonts, page sizes, and margins).

*Style Guide, List Formatting and Other Infrastructure Committee Issues*

Jos – We have talked about style guidelines and improving the list
formatting.

Ryan – The Style Guide would be useful. It is being tracked along with
other issues.

Other issues related to the build guidelines action repository
include:  improving
HTML output and plaintext presentation of tables, adding a markdown linter,
and from 2016, build instructions for MacOS. So, with the new docker image
those are ready to close out.  On the other side, there is the Forum
Infrastructure list on GitHub.  See the list below of items that are on the
backburner and not being actively worked on:

Markdown Style Guide - https://github.com/cabforum/forum/issues/11

Automation of Ballot e-mail: https://github.com/cabforum/forum/issues/9

Release tagging: https://github.com/cabforum/forum/issues/8

IPR policy agreement enforcement: https://github.com/cabforum/forum/issues/7

Weekly summaries of GitHub activity:
https://github.com/cabforum/forum/issues/5

On the last item, we are making progress, but we need to work through some
problems to finish setting it up.  Jos has the credentials, but we are
struggling on how to do this in mailman. What we’ll have is a private list
where anyone can post, archives not visible, which would receive mail.  The
Amazon account would send the weekly summaries as mail, and then we’d need
to configure it, so members could receive mail from the GitHub bot account.

The GitHub Issues List is good place to track Infrastructure Committee
tasks/projects – see https://github.com/cabforum/forum/issues.  Or we can
also use the Project Board – https://github.com/cabforum/forum/projects/1

Other links in chat:

Markdown Linter -
https://github.com/cabforum/build-guidelines-action/issues/18

Table presentation:
https://github.com/cabforum/build-guidelines-action/issues/17

Generate HTML output:
https://github.com/cabforum/build-guidelines-action/issues/16

*WebSite *

We still use GoDaddy for our website.  Contact Jim Gorz to have him help
create a clone of the existing WordPress site for test.cabforum.org.  Changes
will be easier to examine using a test website.

Jos noticed when he tries to upload a ballot that it is getting longer and
longer to parse through the media. We should consider moving older content
to an archive outside of WordPress.  One possibility is to move older
content to archive.cabforum.org.  Also, we should ensure that we are
periodically backing up content. We should check with GoDaddy to ensure
that is being done.

*Membership Management*

Member list still lives in Google Sheets. We need to create a new
spreadsheet and make sure there is a CA/Browser Forum account that is the
owner and that it is backed up regularly. Currently, spreadsheets are all
owned by an individual, and access is granted to editors.  There should be
a Google account for managing the documents.  We can create a plain vanilla
Google account, a G-Suite org or a bot account that owns these. One issue
with a plain vanilla account is that there might be account protection
monitoring issues if the same user is logging in from multiple,
geographically diverse locations. Jos will create a Google account. Backing
up locally is still a good idea.

*Meeting adjourned.*