[Infrastructure] Updated instructions for GitHub ballot merge after IPR review

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Fri Sep 25 10:09:18 MST 2020

During the latest SC33 merge into main,

Wayne had to do some additional commits to bring the pull request up to
speed before being able to create a merge request for SC33.

According to the current process documented in
https://wiki.cabforum.org/github_redline_guide#chair_or_vice_chair_onlyactions_before_the_ipr_review_period_chair_or_vice_chair,

step 3. says "Open the existing “Pull Request” that contains the
immutable red line.".

In some of the recent ballots (SC33, SC28) there were no pull requests
but instead just immutable compare links. My first question is how can
the Chair (or Vice Chair) create such a pull request, when the changes
are in a private fork (e.g. Neil's or Wayne's fork)?

Assuming there is such a pull request in some private fork, and assuming
that there has already been an update in the Baseline Requirements
document in between, the workflow should be updated to include some
additional steps in the forked repo:

3a: re-sync the forked repo with the cabforum/documents main branch. How
does this "re-sync" process look like from a practical standpoint?
3b: resolution of any conflicts so that the end result of the pull
request will be against the "latest" version of the BRs in
cabforum/documents main

Are there any other issues to consider? I know that Wayne spent some
time doing this over SC33 so he could share his experience so we can all
help updating the documentation on the wiki.

Thanks,
Dimitris.

PS: I will soon need to do this when the IPR review period is over for
SC28 and SC35