[Infrastructure] Trouble creating a "clean redline" for Forum-12 [Was: Trouble preparing pull request for SC25]

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon May 4 00:13:51 MST 2020

Once again, I am either not following our documented procedure correctly
or there is something wrong with the steps.

Following instructions listed in
https://wiki.cabforum.org/github_redline_guide, I started my process by
syncing master of https://github.com/dzacharo/documents (my own fork)
with the official repo master (https://github.com/cabforum/documents).

I did this by following the instructions of "Prerequisites" section 2.
The result of this was https://github.com/dzacharo/documents/pull/1
which was merged to my local master.

Then I created a branch
https://github.com/dzacharo/documents/tree/update-bylaws-to-v2.3

Then I made several commits updating the Bylaws on this branch and
created a new pull request against my own repo
(https://github.com/dzacharo/documents/pull/2).

Now it's time to create an immutable redline so I followed  the compare
instructions, using the last commit of the official repo
(https://github.com/cabforum/documents/commit/fc63be73323195abc4e462708ca0385e37b7043d)
and the last commit from my local branch with the bylaws changes
(https://github.com/dzacharo/documents/commit/a94d136c6ddbd0024e9bdc70785aa71f1e2f6753)

For some reason, I see numerous files that are "claimed" to have changed
without changing anything. You can verify using
https://github.com/cabforum/documents/compare/fc63be73323195abc4e462708ca0385e37b7043d..a94d136c6ddbd0024e9bdc70785aa71f1e2f6753#diff-c2f0349076f544cc0e9f059f30f21a85

The patch file against the official master should be available in
https://patch-diff.githubusercontent.com/raw/dzacharo/documents/pull/2.patch

I'd prefer to have a redline link that includes only the specific file
(Bylaws.md) and only the changes applied.

My guess is that my repo includes an additional "merge" commit that
doesn't exist in the official master, so it must have something to do
with the instructions. Any assistance on how to improve this process
would be appreciated. It would also be nice to have a solution for
fixing the existing problem (like, how to take a patch and create a new
pull request at the official cabforum repo, via a new branch)?

Thank you,
Dimitris.