[Infrastructure] Trouble preparing pull request for SC25

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Mar 3 13:10:29 MST 2020

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 2:37 PM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) <
dzacharo at harica.gr> wrote:

> I am having some difficulties preparing a pull request to add
> https://github.com/dougbeattie/documents/commit/bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d992
> 3fcff670cdfc#diff-7f6d14a20e7f3beb696b45e1bf8196f2
> <https://github.com/dougbeattie/documents/commit/bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc#diff-7f6d14a20e7f3beb696b45e1bf8196f2>
>
> to cabforum/documents.
>
> I tried
> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/compare/master...dougbeattie:bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc
>
> but this adds a lot more changes than just 3.2.2.4.18 and 3.2.2.4.19.
>
> Can anyone assist with this? I wanted to create a pull request, add a
> commit with the information for tables, etc and have someone review it
> before merge to master.

Yup. Now you see why I wanted to streamline the process :)

https://github.com/cabforum/documents/pull/162

The pull request process is messy because Doug's version of the cabforum
repository has gotten out of sync.

https://github.com/dougbeattie/documents/commit/bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc.patch
- you can see that's Doug's commit (and exactly what was voted on)

I did this via the command line. Normally, this wouldn't be necessary, but
the wonky state of Doug's repository made it the easiest path forward :)

(I made sure my repository and upstream are in sync and w/ no unnecessary
edits)
# Create a new branch for working on Doug's change
$ git checkout -b dougs_change master
# Download Doug's patch
$ wget
https://github.com/dougbeattie/documents/commit/bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc.patch
# Apply it to my repository
$ git am bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc.patch
# Cleanup the temp file; making this an explicit step just so my process is
easily understandable :P
$ rm bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc.patch
# From my workstation, push my branch "dougs_change" to a remote branch
called "2020-03-03-SC25" in the "origin" repository (which is what I named
my copy on GitHub)
$ git push origin dougs_change:2020-03-03-SC25

Opened the above PR.

You can compare the redline by looking at
https://patch-diff.githubusercontent.com/raw/cabforum/documents/pull/162.patch
and
comparing that with Doug's original patch. For example, diffnow.com will
let you compare by URLs, or you can compare those patch files.

Enjoy! :)