[Infrastructure] GitHub Branch Cleanup

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon Feb 3 11:51:26 MST 2020

On 2020-02-03 8:09 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 12:46 PM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA)
> <dzacharo at harica.gr <mailto:dzacharo at harica.gr>> wrote:
>

>     On 2020-02-03 7:22 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi wrote:
>>     More concretely, as an example:
>>
>>     Here's a patch from over 2 years ago I sent to a repository:
>>     https://github.com/chromium/web-page-replay/pull/91
>>
>>     It's from a branch I deleted, from a repository I deleted.
>>
>>     Yet, because I opened a pull request, you can still download
>>     https://patch-diff.githubusercontent.com/raw/chromium/web-page-replay/pull/91.patch and
>>     see exactly what commits I made, against what version of the
>>     'upstream' repository, and reproduce them exactly to get the same
>>     diff.
>>
>>     This is why I keep asking folks to create Pull Requests for
>>     proposed Ballots. It's the Pull Request that gives us immutability.
>
>     The goal was for someone to be able to verify that the changes to
>     Master were in fact in sync with the proposed language of the
>     ballot. We should try to preserve this, as we have seen mistakes
>     happening before when merging the ballot to the master branch.
>

> So the pull request workflow already preserves this, if you use the
> opened pull request. The error-prone process is when you start trying
> to duplicate or recreate, which we saw in the ballot trying to combine
> SC23 and SC24 into a single commit, which isn't needed.
>
>     I'd like us to discuss (offline or on this list if you want) about
>     documenting the exact steps that a ballot proposer and the Chair
>     or Vice-Chair need to follow in order to achieve two goals:
>
>      1. Create an immutable redline that members can vote on
>
> This starts with as simple as opening up a pull request and
> referencing specific commits. The ad-hoc/bespoke proposals get messier
> here.
>
>      1. Create a final version in the Master branch that includes the
>         changes of the ballot plus some informational changes like
>         version number, table of changes, table of relevant dates
>
> If a pull request is opened with edit privileges, then the admin (aka
> chair / vice chair or their delegates) can edit those sections as
> secondary commits (i.e. based on the one we voted on). So it can be
> clearly and unambiguously demonstrated that a given change was part of
> something.
>
>      1. Allow for post-mortem verification that the redline we voted
>         on matches the final language that was incorporated in the Master.
>
> The point of Git is that the content-addressed storage lets us
> unambiguously guarantee that the hash-in-the-ballot matches the
> hash-as-merged.
>
> For example, if Doug's ballot was opened as a PR (for
> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/compare/master...dougbeattie:Ballot-SC25-v1 ),
> then you get nice properties, like
> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/commit/bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc.patch -
> a formatted patch file.
>
> However, more generally, once a ballot is merged, do we need to keep
> [...]

I do not oppose removing all previous "experimental" branches, etc. As
you noted, there were several people engaging in this activity without
clear instructions, git knowledge (including me of course) or a clear
documented process. We are getting better at this and already have a
somewhat documented procedure to create redline versions by using a
local repository. I think we should nail down the procedure, check its
results and if everything works as expected, then remove the old
branches. How does that sound?

Dimitris.