[Infrastructure] GitHub Branch Cleanup

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon Feb 3 10:46:00 MST 2020

On 2020-02-03 7:22 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> More concretely, as an example:
>
> Here's a patch from over 2 years ago I sent to a repository:
> https://github.com/chromium/web-page-replay/pull/91
>
> It's from a branch I deleted, from a repository I deleted.
>
> Yet, because I opened a pull request, you can still download
> https://patch-diff.githubusercontent.com/raw/chromium/web-page-replay/pull/91.patch and
> see exactly what commits I made, against what version of the
> 'upstream' repository, and reproduce them exactly to get the same diff.
>
> This is why I keep asking folks to create Pull Requests for proposed
> Ballots. It's the Pull Request that gives us immutability.

The goal was for someone to be able to verify that the changes to Master
were in fact in sync with the proposed language of the ballot. We should
try to preserve this, as we have seen mistakes happening before when
merging the ballot to the master branch.

I'd like us to discuss (offline or on this list if you want) about
documenting the exact steps that a ballot proposer and the Chair or
Vice-Chair need to follow in order to achieve two goals:

 1. Create an immutable redline that members can vote on
 2. Create a final version in the Master branch that includes the
    changes of the ballot plus some informational changes like version
    number, table of changes, table of relevant dates
 3. Allow for post-mortem verification that the redline we voted on
    matches the final language that was incorporated in the Master.

So, if the process requires to create a pull request in order to satisfy
these properties, let's document this. It will get us one step closer to
using GitHub as the canonical version for our Guidelines :-)

Thanks,

Dimitris.