[Infrastructure] GitHub Branch Cleanup

Jos Purvis (jopurvis) jopurvis at cisco.com
Mon Feb 3 09:01:25 MST 2020

I like the idea! A couple things:
I think there’s a case to be made for a few persistent branches, most notably a “cleanup” branch to be used for accumulating changes for the periodic cleanup ballots.
Do you think there are any issues with merging personal forks directly to master? I’m wondering about the possibility of someone getting a ballot passed and then last-minute including extra changes from the passed text before merging. Wondering if it would be better to create a workflow like this:
User creates personal fork to generate ballot text.
When ballot text is ready for voting, a PR is created to merge their fork to a ballot-specific branch (which allows one of the Github ninjas to ensure only the right stuff is being selected for merge, no weird changes, etc.).
CABF Ballot is based on the diff of the ballot-specific branch and master.
If the ballot passes, the branch is merged to master and deleted. If it fails, the branch is deleted.

--
Jos Purvis (jopurvis at cisco.com)
.:|:.:|:. cisco systems  | Cryptographic Services