[Infrastructure] GitHub unintended consequences and triggering artifact generation

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Fri Aug 21 08:30:24 MST 2020

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 5:10 AM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) <
dzacharo at harica.gr> wrote:

> On 20/8/2020 9:07 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi wrote:
>

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:56 AM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) <
> dzacharo at harica.gr> wrote:
>

>> I followed
>>
>> https://wiki.cabforum.org/github_redline_guide#chair_or_vice_chairactions_after_the_ipr_review_period
>> for SC30 and SC31 based on the existing pull request and review
>> (https://github.com/cabforum/documents/pull/203).
>

> The process had a step to delete the temporary branch
>> (Ballot-SC30-and-31), which I did. Unfortunately, this also closed
>> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/pull/207 because it was depending
>> on the temporary branch Ballot-SC30-and-31.
>>
>> Ryan, is this something you can fix?
>

> Yes, it's no big deal and what I expected to happen.
>

>> We should probably update the
>> instructions accordingly.
>>

> For what? I used a non-standard approach that intentionally isn't
> documented to begin with ;-)
>

> No objections to this approach. What I meant by "update the instructions"
> was more of adding a "hint" to ballot proposers with language on how to
> avoid such situations (e.g. "Use separate branches for follow-up
> ballots..." or "don't create new ballots on branches that are used for PR
> against the main cabforum/documents branch"). I didn't intend to change the
> existing workflow if it wasn't necessary. You might be perfectly familiar
> with how Git repos work and interact with each other, but another ballot
> proposer might get confused :)
>

> I think we likely want to focus our documentation on common, normal flows
> intended for those not wanting to learn Git or GitHub (totally
> understandable) or the Chair and Vice-Chair to produce results, and don't
> need to try to document every scenario or use case. Weird edge cases (like
> where I've created multiple branches to show in-progress stuff) is
> something I think we can and should deal with on an ad-hoc basis, because
> it's rare, exceptional, and trying to document all the edge cases just
> introduces more room for failure.
>

> I agree.
>

>> I also went to download the artifacts
>> (
>> https://cabforum-travis-artifacts.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/builds/main/BR.docx)
>>
>> after the merge, but they were not updated according to the last
>> commits. I assume that the artifacts are created the first time you
>> create the pull request and not when you add commits to that pull
>> request afterwards. Is that correct?
>>

> No. The artifacts are generated for every commit.
>
> It's not clear to me what you're describing, so hopefully you can clarify.
> The URL you linked is only updated after you merge the commit.
>

> I merged the commit and waited a few minutes before downloading the docx
> artifact, but the document was old.
>
> If you want to view commits as you add them to the PR, before it is
> merged, the link is to the branch name - e.g.
> https://cabforum-travis-artifacts.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/builds/Ballot-SC30-and-31/BR.docx

> [...]

Right now, https://travis-ci.org/github/cabforum/documents/builds/

But I almost hesitate to document that, because I'd like to fix that "real
soon" (modulo time commitments), since the GitHub Actions would let you
view it directly (as an attached artifact)