[Infrastructure] Meeting Minutes / Etherpad

Jos Purvis (jopurvis) jopurvis at cisco.com
Thu Nov 7 07:29:16 MST 2019

The experiment with using Etherpad for minute-taking during the meetings seemed to go OK this time. While observing the minutes assembly (and Ryan’s observation that Etherpad-as-a-service will be discontinued in December), I noted to Wayne that we could easily stand up an Etherpad service on a CABF host. He wondered whether there were advantages to doing that vs. Google Docs (which people are likely more familiar with), and the only real advantage I could come up with was that by doing it on a CABF server, we could ensure that copies of documents weren’t “owned” in Google by any single member. That might not be a good trade-off, though, so I thought I’d toss it here and see what people thought. We came up with a couple possibilities:
Run Etherpad on a CABF server and use it for official minutes, encouraging (not requiring) members to use it.
Encourage the use of GDocs for collaborative work, but create a cabf at gmail.com or similar account that could be added to each document. A little scripting, and that CABF shared account could likely make a backup copy of any document it’s added to, ensuring that the CABF always has copies of materials that will survive individual members.
Jos is again inventing a solution for a non-existent problem, and we’re probably good to keep going how we are. :)

Thoughts?

--
Jos Purvis (jopurvis at cisco.com)
.:|:.:|:. cisco systems  | Cryptographic Services