[Infrastructure] Draft Minutes for 29 May 2019

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Jun 3 09:05:26 MST 2019

= Agenda (Standing Agenda)
1. Reading of the Anti-Trust Statement
2. Approval of the Minutes
3. Wiki Management and Migration
4. Website Management
5. Document Management
  a. Automation changes and maintenance
  b. Markdown modifications and content changes

Present: Ben, Jos, Ryan

= Approval of the Minutes
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved

= Wiki Management and Migration:
== Migration Update:
Jos provided an update as to the current status of the wiki. The wiki has
been fully migrated to https://wiki.cabforum.org, and a redirect has been
setup to redirect from https://www.cabforum.org/wiki to the new page. He
mentioned that the oldwiki is still temporarily available at /oldwiki, for
any issues that may arise.

Jos is planning to send an update to the Forum as to the status. Ryan
suggested that one activity we should do is make sure that any links to the
old wiki on the cabforum.org site should be updated. While it's unlikely
that there will be links, as the wiki is members only, Ryan recalled that
there were a few pages that had historically linked to it. Jos agreed this
was a good idea for someone to do.

== User and Credential Management:
Jos mentioned that the new wiki's credentials were based on the canonical
spreadsheet of membership [1], rather than based on the old wiki's user
list. The spreadsheet reflects declared memberships following the adoption
of the revised bylaws.

The new wiki allows each WG to have their own separate areas, allowing
read-only access to all members, but write-access based on members with
that appropriate tag. Tags have been set up for each of the Forum WGs - the
Infrastructure WG (transitioning to a Forum subcommittee), the Code Signing
WG, and the Server Cert WG.

Ryan raised a suggestion that we should audit/inventory our existing user
credential systems. We have the wiki, and we also have a variety of mailing
lists with posting privileges. Now that most of the impact from the Bylaws
transition has settled, and the migration has largely settled, we should
look to take stock about the existing memberships and make sure that our
various access controls are consistent. Right now, there's no visibility
into who is participating where, and that carries with it IP risks and
uncertainty. The suggestion was having a Web-based dashboard that can at
least view the set of participants associated with an organization, on a
per-organization basis.

Ben raised the suggestion of a desire to have per-user permissions. During
the call, we identified permissions as: posting to the mailing list, access
to the wiki, proposing/endorsing ballots, voting on ballots, and joining
new WGs as all being distinct activities that may be performed. This seemed
to be a common challenge, particularly for large organizations with many

While this is an interesting challenge, it's clear there's a lot of work
here, and it impacts the Forum at large. The discussion for next steps was
to build a holistic list of all the accounts that exist, for all the
mailing lists, and to allow members to go through and examine and figure
out what is appropriate for their organization. This will then help inform
what sort of capabilities are needed from the Forum and from members, and
what sort of participation is desired or needed. The proposal is to send
this to the management list.

The discussion did not propose a deadline for harmonizing these lists - the
first step is understanding the scope of the problem or delta between the
canonical membership and the participants, to determine what sort of
changes may be needed or desired. However, this list and understanding the
scope may help inform a F2F Topic to discuss the scope of the problem and
desired outcomes, many of which may involve a modification to the Bylaws to
account for.

== Wiki and Mailing List Archives
Ryan raised a question about gathering some of the history of past mailing
lists and wiki. Some of the mailing lists require access to be members, but
they may have been historic mailing lists of the Forum - would these be
accessible to all members, or would they forever be restricted to the
membership at the time?

Ryan also mentioned that some Wiki pages did not appear to contain the
complete history. Jos mentioned that the edits should have been carried
over and imported successfully. During the discussion, it was discovered
that edits before 2017-06-13 may have been lost, during a past migration of
the Wiki system by GoDaddy. More investigation is needed to see if these
edits and history are maintained.

== Mailing List Migration:
With respect to the mail lists migration, a number of challenges were
encountered that have temporarily delayed the migration. These relate to
the sending of outbound mail. With the migration, the IPs assigned to the
new system are presently in a variety of mail blackhole lists, related to
the infrastructure they're on. The existing system uses GoDaddy's mail
servers, and thus doesn't have negative spam reputation. Jos was still
investigating various solutions, while attempting to be respectful of the
time that members had already committed with donating the resources.

= Document Management
Jos mentioned that he was in the process of documenting, on the Wiki, the
various bits of CA/Browser Forum infrastructure as part of this migration,
to ensure smooth continuity of operations as people transition roles and

Jos now has access to the S3 buckets currently used for publishing the
document artifacts, so that the Forum can change how it publishes documents
going forward, as needed.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://cabforum.org/pipermail/infrastructure/attachments/20190603/432b35fa/attachment.html>

More information about the Infrastructure mailing list