[Infrastructure] Issues with Minutes

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon Dec 30 02:28:07 MST 2019

On 2019-12-16 9:06 μ.μ., Jos Purvis (jopurvis) wrote:

> I know there are several people who go over the minutes to try and
> clean them up and that’s much appreciated—I’d just much rather the
> minute-takers be paying some of that cost too. :)
>
> One thing that might help is to include a reminder to minute-takers to
> ensure they’re reviewing minutes after assembling them so they’re
> legible and comprehensible; the discussion about tooling should help
> here as well. One other thing that might help a lot is if we agreed on
> a rough standard for how to do minuting, especially for some of the
> back-and-forth discussions or Q&A sessions we have: everyone seems to
> pick a different way of notating who’s speaking and who said what, and
> that can make things very difficult to read. If we agreed on a
> standardized format that might make it easier—something like:
>
> If you are minuting a conversation between multiple parties, be sure
> to attribute statements clearly in the minutes. Each speaker’s
> contribution should be on a separate line, and should be prefaced with
> the name and company of the speaker (initials are acceptable if you
> include expansions or a key). For example, here is a conversation
> between three people:
>
> Mercutio Organa (MO), Crufty Kluge LLP> Basically the only new
> principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the
> relative motion of conductors and fluxes—
>
> Heinz Doofenshmirtz (HD), DEI> —it’s produced by the modial
> interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive diractance, yes. But
> what about side-fumbling?
>
> Abby Chatterjee (AC), WeatherCopters Inc.> That’s prevented by the
> ambifacient lunar waneshaft, which includes six hydrocoptic marzelvanes.
>
> MO> What kind of winding are we using for that?
>
> AC> Normal—it’s the lotus O-deltoid type in panendermic semiboloid
> slots of the stator.
>
> If you’re minuting a question-and-answer session, be sure to place
> question and answer on separate lines, and note clearly who is
> providing the question /and/ the answer. For instance:
>
> Abby Chatterjee, WeatherCopters Inc.> Are the spurving bearings offset
> at all?
>
> Heinz Doofenshmirtz, DEI> No, they’re placed in a direct line with the
> panametric fan.
>
> Or does that seem too prescriptive? I like Ryan’s idea of templates
> for minuting sessions; perhaps the above could be placed into a quick
> doc template in the wiki for copy-pasting into minutes pages?

I like the idea of doc templates. We are gradually (but slowly) getting
more "rules/suggestions" introduced for minute-takers. Perhaps someone
could start an "expectations from minute-takers" page. I have already
sent several messages to the management list about this topic so we
already have some initial material to start with.

Thoughts?
Dimitris.