[Infrastructure] Draft Notes of Today's Meeting

Ben Wilson ben.wilson at digicert.com
Wed Oct 31 09:42:29 MST 2018

Here is a first draft of meeting minutes.

Notes of Infrastructure Working Group

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Present:  Ben, Jos, Daymion, Dimitris, Ryan, Tony, Wayne

Approval of Minutes:  We still need to circulate and review minutes from the
Shanghai meeting.

DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT DISCUSSION

               Tim had volunteered on how to do a ballot.

               The Baseline Requirements lack an official canonical version
- should this be a ballot?  This WG wouldn't propose a ballot, but could
recommend desired aspects of a system for publishing and tracking official
documents.

               Dimitris plans to discuss this with Wayne and Dean.

               The WG could present resources, methods, tools, technologies,
etc. for which the WG would provide support.   Daymion suggested we go over
a set of requirements, e.g. do we need versioning, file formatting, embedded
features, etc.  We can put this up on a wiki page - an outline of the
requirements.  Redline versioning is important, a vendor-neutral format is
important, etc.  Dimitris noted that the Forum passed ballots for GitHub in
the past, so that shows a majority would support having GitHub as the
canonical version of the Baseline Requirements.  Ben said we could just use
GitHub as the primary de facto source and make it the canonical source as a
formality later.

Jos noted that there is a struggle with using markdown on complicated
features like footnotes, etc.  Ryan said we'll need to look at the process
of converting markdown to PDF, which goes back to Daymion's suggestion that
we document what the requirements are.

Wayne asked whether the goal is to get the documents the same we have today.
Ryan said we need to decide how close we need to be to getting what we have
today.  Jos said we do need a requirements document, but we shouldn't have
exacting specifications, and shouldn't go too much into the weeds.  Dimitris
agreed that we need to prioritize and he will circulate a list of
requirements.

Ben said he'd print the GitHub view to a PDF using Word.  Ryan said we need
to consistent with the presentation over time using more automated tools.
He noted that the readme file has examples of what output you get, and how a
PDF would look.  The tool already creates PDFs automatically. Files are
being uploaded to S3, so no other tooling is required.  Everyone should look
at the PDF versions on GitHub.

Wayne asked whether we are looking for requirements for creating the final
version of a document, or also a redline document?  GitHub does create
functional redline, but there are two sets of requirements.  Jos - let's
focus first on the requirements for a final document, and then have the
Forum offer suggestions on creating a redline.  Wayne - instructions on
methods for creating redlined versions would be helpful.

WIKI MANAGEMENT DISCUSSION

We have an offer from MS to look at Sharepoint, should we look at open
source options?  A commercial offering seems more attractive than an open
source solution that requires maintenance. However, there is a tendency of
MS products to be too interdependent. Do we want to have Gordon and Mike go
through the effort to set us up?  We can ask MS to provide us a demo.  Ryan
noted that GitHub has a wiki option, too.  Daymion recommended that we have
a set of requirements for the wiki, too. Jos will work on something and
circulate it. Ben will follow up with Atlassian for a free community license
for Confluence.

OTHER UPDATES

Daymion is working on a test WordPress site.  He now has DNS access and will
create a test server.

Dimitris has asked Trev about sponsorship for VMs from Amazon.