[Infrastructure] Baseline Requirements - Markdown Output

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Nov 5 09:26:52 MST 2018

And here are the versions automatically being produced as part of our
infrastructure:

https://cabforum-travis-artifacts.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/builds/master/BR.html
https://cabforum-travis-artifacts.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/builds/master/BR.pdf

I would presume that, in context, we have a couple requirements from the
past discussions about format:

1) A format that folks can edit without the use of/requirement of certain
platforms and/or third-party software
2) A format that is stable between versions (i.e. opening in a newer
version of some software won't change the formatting)
3) A format that produces stable output (e.g. two different people can
produce the same output and ensure there aren't visual
differences/artifacts)

It's unclear, from the context of requirements, whether there is a fourth
requirement
4) Assuming all those things above are equal, a format that minimizes the
number of steps to produce output should be preferred over other formats,
on the basis that more steps to produce output creates more opportunities
for human error or requires more manual intervention

Separately, both versions of the documents (what Ben provided and what's
being produced) 'suffer' from the same formatting issues at present. One is
the use of footnotes re: "registry-controlled" (which appear at the end of
the document, rather than the page printed on) and the other is the use of
block formatting in the profile.

With respect to the ballots themselves, the footnote is controlled by
Ballot 96 (
https://cabforum.org/2013/02/20/ballot-96-wildcard-certificates-and-new-gtlds/
) and doesn't require any 'special' treatment - i.e. without requiring a
new ballot, the presentation of that section 'could' be adjusted. With
respect to the block formatting (see 5.4.1, 7.1.2.2, 7.1.2.3), that's
fairly easy to fix and presentational, without changing any of the text.

I'm specifically avoiding the suggestions of making structural or balloted
changes to those documents in this WG, given the charter.